Report of meeting of the Presbytery of Greenock and Paisley on Tuesday 9th April 2013
Points of interest.
1. Rev Lorna Hood , Moderate Designate, was presented with an inscribed Hymn Book on behalf of Presbytery.
2. Congregations are urged to submit names of possible delegates (aged 17 to 25) to attend the COS National Youth Assembly in Dundee from 16th – 19th August.
3. Safeguarding – Forthcoming training dates were announced and Sandra, our Co-ordinator, is aware of these.
4. Zimbabwe. Rev Archie Spiers, convener of the Presbytery’s Zimbabwe committee, gave a presentation of the Committee’s recent visit to Zimbabwe. Our Presbytery and the Presbytery of Zimbabwe were formalised into a Covenant in 2007 and this stimulated co-operation between the Presbyteries and allowed for assistance on a number of essential projects eg water, provision of education and medical services etc. 3 congregations are twinned with ones in Zimbabwe. viz Lyle Kirk, Greenock, St Martins , Port Glasgow and Kilmacolm Old.
5. Superintendence. Rev Donald Campbell presented the report and among other items he mentioned the ongoing local church review pilot at Elderslie Kirk and a forthcoming one at Inchinnan Parish church. The plan is that a new form of Church review will supersede the old Quinquennial Visitation.
Local Note. I am sure that many Elders will remember the most unsatisfactory visit we had from Presbytery not long ago and I know that, with Donald’s involvement on the Superintendence committee, future reviews will be carried out in a more professional and meaningful way
10th April 2013.