Minute of the AGM of Houston and Killellan Kirk choir held in the River Inn on Thurs. 23.05.13
1. Apologies: Morag Howe, George and Jean Allan, Alec Buchanan, Barbara Arthur, Betty Syme, Ben Fowler, Barbara Morrison, Norrie and Grace Cochran, Graeme Jackson and Helen Lister
2. Belle McNeil welcomed everyone to the meeting and gave her chairperson's report: We have had a busy season - in addition to weekly introits and anthems we have had the following:
Cream tea - over £700.00 was raised - £500.00 was donated towards the Kirk extension and the remainder retained in Choir funds.
Sept. 2012 - Ben Fowler joined us as organist and choir master - we have enjoyed our time with him and have risen to the challenges of the pieces he has chosen to perform
14th Sept. - community Singalong in aid of the local hospices
Dec - Service of Lessons and Carols
20th Dec. - choir members enjoyed 'mince pies and non alcoholic mulled wine' - an enjoyable social evening
21 Dec - Christmas Big Sing for Christian Aid
Good Friday - Faure Requiem
Easter Sunday - Hallelujah Chorus
We have been delighted to have Ben lead us and appreciated the many words of praise he always had for our 'efforts'. We are sorry to lose him to his new job in London but appreciate he has to go where there is work for him.
Thanks to our Kirk Elders - Helen and Marion (chocolate lady) for their interest and support.
Thanks also to Peter for filling in when Ben was absent, to Bill for his work as librarian. to Jan for being treasurer, to Barbara Ann for taking the minutes and to the other members of the Choir committee.
Thanks to Donald for his ongoing support and encouragement
Finally, thanks to the members of the choir who regularly turn out and lead the praise Sunday by Sunday.
Have an enjoyable Summer break.
3. Treasurer's Report - copy of the accounts was issued. We currently have £201 in the bank and £13 in petty cash. We shall receive donations from the 2 weddings we shall be singing at viz Sun 26th May at 2pm and Sat. 22 June at 1.30pm
4. Organist and Choirmaster's report - not available as Ben has just started his job in London.
5. Committee - the existing committee of Belle, Jan, Barbara Ann, Bill and George was re-elected and Helen has also been elected to the committee.
Peter has arranged for Belle to send everyone the score of 'Ave Maria' for Sunday's wedding and the sound track of the piece. It will be rehearsed on Sunday morning and a decision be made if it will be sung by full choir or as a solo.
Donald gave his thanks to the choir for all they have done in this very busy year. Thanks for all the work put in week after week. The Congregation who attended the Good Friday service greatly appreciated the Faure Requiem. He knows the choir is sad to lose Ben and Ben has made up a job description to help in finding a new organist - Donald and Peter will discuss this.
Belle gave an update on some of the members who are currently unwell and hoped that they will soon be back to good health.
Donald concluded the meeting in prayer.
The Houston & Killellan Kirk Choir are an enthusiastic group of around 24 singers that contribute an Introit and Anthem to Sunday Morning Worship throughout the year as well as performing at other services and events in the church. Their repertoire spans the 14th to the 21st century and includes both well known and more adventurous choral compositions.
The Choir meet for practice on Thursday evenings in the Church at 19.30 (except July & August). We manage to have lots of fun as well as the hard work that goes into learning the music - break time sweeties included! We always welcome new members and no audition is required. If you would like to find out more, sit in on a rehearsal to see what we do, or to sign up today, please contact Choir Secretary, Barbara Ann Brown on email:
or Tel: 01505 325452, or alternatively Organist and Choirmaster, Ben Fowler on email:
or Tel: 07794680698
Listen to the choir:
G.F. Handel - 'Rejoice O Judah, Hallelujah!' from Judas Maccabeus