Minutes still to be approved on 19th November.
At Houston and within Houston and Kilellan Kirk, the Kirk Session met in the Church Hall at 1930hrs on 26 August 2014 and was constituted in prayer by the Rev Donald Campbell, Moderator.
1. SEDERUNT/APOLOGIES – The Sederunt book was passed and apologies received.
2. THE SACRAMENT OF HOLY COMMUNION was celebrated
3. MINUTES – Pages 486, 487, 488 and 489 were approved by John Melrose seconded by David Fulton
4. MATTERS ARISING:
- Election of Elders – is ongoing, Donald has spoken to a number of people who have confirmed their acceptance and a number of others have still to be contacted. This item will be taken forward to the next Meeting.
- Other matters are on the Agenda
- Street Lighting – Jim is continuing to correspond with the appropriate departments re the lighting on Kirk Road.
- Isobel Grant– will receive her 30 year Certificate at the Service on 5 October.
- Hazel McLean– has submitted a letter of resignation as she is moving to Inverness. Hazel indicated that she will remain a member of Houston and Kilellan Kirk. Jim will write on behalf of the Session to thank Hazel for her service and pass onto her our best wishes in her new location.
- The ‘Learn’ Project– Jim had received information from the Presbytery with regard to this Project for Session Clerks and Elders to be held at Tulliallan from 24 to 26 October at a cost of £140. If anyone would like more information on this please contact Jim.
- Charity Reference Numbers on Documentation– new information recently received with regard to this will be checked and the relevant information passed to all concerned.
6. SAFEGUARDING – Sandra’s report had been circulated prior to the Meeting. Sandra thanked all of those who had helped with the Starzone days over the summer. Donald thanked Sandra on behalf of the Session.
The Kirk Session agreed to ratify the following Safeguarding appointment, following successful recruitment to the PVG scheme, regulated to work with children - Mrs Sheila Campbell, 5 Broomfield, Houston – to work with the Anchor Boys.
7. TREASURER’S REPORT– There were no questions arising from John’s previously circulated report.
8. FINANCE REPORT:
Gift Aid Convenor– David McLay has intimated his intention to resign from this position. Jack McKechnie, on behalf of the Sessions thanked David for his commitment in carrying out this role over a number of years.. Susan Findlay will be the new Convenor.
Extension Fund– Jack summarised the current position.
Photocopier – Quotes have been received for a new photocopier which is due to be replaced in October.
Utility Contracts– the Finance Committee continue to investigate and discuss all of the options available when contracts are due for renewal.
Hall Let– We had received an enquiry with regard to the let of one of the upstairs rooms and after discussion it was agreed that the cost would be £5 per hour provided the other hall/halls were in use at the same time.
9. TEAM REPORTS:
Thank you to all who attended to help clear the vestry.
Norrie highlighted a number of tasks that would be progressing in the near future i.e. a new roof on the gas meter box, repainting of the stairs in the Church Hall, cleaning and repainting of the container in the carpark and the resiting of a number of fire extinguishers at the Church and H
b) WORSHIP– Report circulated prior to Meeting. Belle McNeill has indicated her intention to resign as Convenor. Donald suggested that the next meeting be held in the Manse at which time the appointment of a new Convenor will be discussed.
c) ORGANISATION AND MANAGEMENT- the Roll currently stands at 669.
10. FIRE REGULATIONS– Helen thanked David Fulton for the preparation of the Fire Emergency Plan which had been circulated to all Session Members and for providing the training session which was well attended. There will be a small number of amendments made to the Plan and these will be circulated in due course. Everyone should make themselves familiar with these.
11. KIRK ANNEXE PROJECT– Allan Gilfillan summarised the report previously circulated. Allan requested the Kirk Session’s permission to apply for the loan of £120,000 with interest at the rate of 5% which had previously been offered by the Church of Scotland. This motion was proposed by Iain Cameron and seconded by George Colquhoun and unanimously agreed by the Kirk Session. The Session Clerk was also authorised to sign the necessary loan documentation.
The Steering Group were asked to discuss at their next Meeting the possibility of contacting those who have not already committed/pledged to the Project and how this could best be undertaken.
12. FUNDRAISING EVENTS – Donald highlighted 2 fund raising events which would be taking place later in the year i.e.
- Fiddlers Rally - 29 November
- Arkelston Singers – 7 December.
13. ORGANIST – Following the rejection of one of the applicants and the withdrawal of the other for this post, Peter McKerrell was once more approached and asked if he would consider taking up the role. Donald was delighted to announce that Peter has agreed and will officially take up this post on 1 September 2014.
14. REPORT ON THE 4 CHURCHES TOGETHER- Following discussion of the circulated report it was agreed that minor social events, which have to date not been very successful, and were not what was envisaged when the proposal was originally put forward by Presbytery. Therefore Ian and John have been asked to take our proposal to the next meeting ‘ that joint worship events would be a more appropriate way of getting the Churches together’. Donald thanked Ian for the effort put into the ‘Commonwealth Food Event’ held recently.
- Community Council– a member of the Session to join the Community Council is still being sought, It was stressed how important it was for the Church to have an input on the Community Council. If anyone feels they could take on this role please let the Minister or the Clerk know.
- Glass Display Cabinets– Plans for these to be put in the atrium area have been put on hold meantime.
- Harvest Gifts– the Session were asked for their approval for the gifts to go to the Trusell Trust Local Foodbank and this was given.
- BB and GB Dedication Service– Due to lack of space the Service has been rescheduled to 1pm on Sunday 14 September. Numbers for the Remembrance Service will also be restricted.
- Kilallan Kirk– the restoration work is almost complete and looking well. Donald conducted a ‘Closure Service’ on Friday 22August for a number of invited guests.
· Advertising Signage– the use of signage outside the Church to advertise our Youth Organisations will be discussed by the relevant Committee and their findings brought to the next Meeting.
16. DATES OF SESSION MEETINGS 2014/2015– the following dates have been confirmed:
- 26 November 2014 at 19.30hrs in the Church
- 21 January 2015 at 19.30hrs in the Church
- 18 March 2015 at 19.30hurs in the Church
- 22 March 2015 – Congregational meeting in the Church after morning service
- 28 April 2015 at 19.30hurs in the Church Annexe
- 10 June 2015 at 19.30hurs in the Church Annexe
The Moderator closed the Meeting in prayer at 21.15hrs.
Rev Donald Campbell James McBeath
Moderator Session Clerk